ZOOM iQ7 – Stereo Microphone for iOS Devices
Specs & Features:
- Works with any Lightning-equipped iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
- Compatible with most iOS apps that support audio input from an external microphone
- including GarageBand, Voice Memos, Camera, iMovies, Instagram, and Vine
- Mid-side recording for adjustable stereo width and perfect mono compatibility
- Unique rotating mechanism ensures correct left-right stereo orientation whether used in portrait or landscape mode
- Three-segment LED meters and analog-type mic gain wheel for visual monitoring and precision level setting
- dedicated headphone jack that doubles as a line output
- Comes with extended Lightning connector and removable spacer that allows use with most cases
- Free Handy Recorder app allows you to edit sound files and add effects
Possibilities of the Zoom iQ7 iOs Microphone
When you’re prepared to take your iOS sound to the next level, the iQ7 may be your companion. This compact but fully featured mid-side stereo condenser mic is ideal for catching music and additionally video with exceptional sound while on-the-go.
With the Zoom iQ7, you can make incredible sounding recordings on your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
Mid-side recording is an awesome approach to catch stereo sound. The iQ7 contains two receiver components: a directional “mid” mic that catches sound originating from in front, and a bidirectional “side” mic that covers the sounds surrounding you.
The quality of the sound is good. Vocals are clear and not to hard sounding. Instruments from somewhere in the room are recorded correctly with a noticeable direction.
A basic three-way stereo width switch on the iQ7 lets you change your recordings to match your surroundings. Set it to 90° to concentrate on an individual sound, or 120° for a more extensive sound-arrangement covering all the ambience sound as well.
Just listen to this recording example of the Zoom iQ7
iPad mini 4, recording with Zoom iQ7 mic at a distance of approximately 35’/10.5M.
If you would like to do more in depth adjustments after recording, you can record the mid and side mic signals as “raw” M-S information. Then you can later change the stereo width from anywhere between 30° to 150° with Zoom’s free Handy Recorder iOS application.
The Zoom iQ7 mid-side stereo condenser mic is the perfect sound accessory for your iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. It is quite lightweight and reduced to even fit in your pocket. We can recommend the IQ7 for recording music and also video with extraordinary natural sound.
When you are looking for an portable microphone and you want to plug it into your iOS device this is a good choice. Nevertheless we think that the sound – quality of our No 1 iOS pick the Digital Sound Recorder for iOS Devices from Shure is quite a bit better.
Note: Personally we would prefer to take a dedicated portable sound recorder with me as sound quality and the possibilities of these dedicated recorders give you an overall better experience and more professional result. Even a one track sound recorder (Zoom H1 (Budget-Tip)) or an advanced portable sound recorder like the Zoom H4NPro (Best) would be our choice.
No reviews yet